Great Lakes Angler Forum

What radio do I need to communicate

What kind of radio do I need to buy so I can communicate on the water? I have hand held walkie talkies but I assume thats not what is needed. Marine Band? CB? Any help is appreciated.

A good marine band radio on 25 watt transmit power should give 6-8 mile range boat to boat. On open water up to 12 miles is possible.
    On the great lakes, you should be able to reach a few hundred miles to a coast guard station. They have higher antennas.
    Good or bad weather can change these numbers.

get a moderatly priced vhf radio and if you have the money get one with gps then register it with boatus.com. get a quality antenna to get best service. i recommend the lowrance 5225 xt. icom on ebay has the radio's for around 200.00 with built in gps. and the 5225 xt for around 125.00 to 130.00 but the antenna is a lot more important than a high priced radio with all the bells and whistres.

You guys are great! thanks for the direct answers.

Registering will provide a "come get me button." You will be assigned an MMSI. Don't recall the meaning. Your radio will transmit a distress signal to the Coasties, complete with GPS numbers. Your boat description, your phone number and address are part of the info you provide. These will give SAR a starting point to find your body. Always remember, no body, no death certificate, no survivors benefits.