Great Lakes Angler Forum

Getting Started Help

Hi All,
    I'm and avid Muskie fisherman looking to learn how to fish for Salmon & Trout in Lake Michigan by trolling. I have been watching videos on Youtube and have ordered the below items to get us started. I have 3 Abu garcia 7000C reels and several C3 that may not be ideal for this application. I have 80lb Power pro line spooled onto all of these reels. My concern is using my muskie rods for trolling, they are 8'6 graphite St Croix rods and the eyelets have ceramic inserts. Using Copper or wire would damage them I'm sure so we were going to go with 80lb power pro to start with. No downriggers so Dipsy divers will have to do. I did order 2 new rods as you can see below, but am I missing any crucial items to get started? I have rocket launch style SS tubes rod holders mounted on siderails on a 1850MS Ranger Reata. 150HP MERC 4ST - No Kicker. Helix 12 3rd gen x 2 with full capabilities. Plan to launch out of Kenosha WI to cut my teeth but willing to travel further if needed.

Quant Price Sub-Tot ID Name
    1 $11.99 $11.99 SD70200 Spin Dr - Chartreuse Double Crush Glow
    4 $18.99 $75.96 LJM-0086 Luhr Jensen Magnum Dipsy Diver - Stealth (Clear)
    1 $12.99 $12.99 SG-L-25 Seagaur Fluorocarbon Leader 25 yards 25 LB Test
    1 $3.69 $3.69 G02408-4 Gamakatsu Octopus Hook Black size 4
    1 $4.99 $4.99 VMC9617BZ- VMC O Shaugnessy Treble Hook 9617BZ size - 10
    1 $4.95 $4.95 Pline-10NS Pline Dura-max Swivel size 10
    2 $4.95 $9.90 Pline-7 Pline Dura-max Swivel w/snap size 7
    2 $4.95 $9.90 Pline-5 Pline Dura-max Swivel w/snap size 5
    1 $1.00 $1.00 S405 Beads - White 8mm
    1 $1.00 $1.00 S413 Beads - Tangerine 8mm
    1 $1.00 $1.00 S401 Beads - Green 8mm
    4 $5.99 $23.96 DW-RC-OR Dreamweaver Rip Cord - Orange
    2 $4.99 $9.98 STF108 Salmon Trolling Fly - Herring

2PK SHIMANO TDR 9'0 MEDIUM HEAVY 2PC TROLLING RODS
    Rhys Davis Large Teaser Cut Bait Rigs for Salmon/Trout Trolling (CLBLSC)

Zombie Apocalypse™ SuperGlow, Trophy Trout & Salmon Trolling Spoons!( 152614586872 )

Option: 2-Pack

Add note

ITEM PRICE:US $15.99
    Item Zombie Apocalypse™ SuperGlow, Trophy Trout & Salmon Trolling Spoons!Leave feedbackReturn this itemMore actions

Zombie Apocalypse™ SuperGlow, Trophy Trout & Salmon Trolling Spoons!( 152614586872 )

Option: 2-Pack Green_Purple

Add note

ITEM PRICE:US $15.99
    Item Zombie Apocalypse™ SuperGlow, Trophy Trout & Salmon Trolling Spoons!Leave feedbackReturn this itemMore actions

Beaver-Tail™ 8" Flasher Fly Combos - Trophy Trout & Salmon Trolling!!!( 153410607901 )

Part No.: SpinDoctor Mtn Dew

Add note

ITEM PRICE:US $18.99
    Item Beaver-Tail™ 8" Flasher Fly Combos - Trophy Trout & Salmon Trolling!!!Leave feedbackReturn this itemMore actions

Thanks for any help. I have 2 boy's that are looking forward to giving this a shot. We plan to try labor day weekend for the first attempt and figure the learning curve will require several trips and adjustments.

Forgot to mention that I do have a Minkota Terrova 80lb on the boat. No planer boards yet, but that's next on the wish list. To start we plan to run 4 rods until we get our legs under us, then add when we are confident we can manage additional rods. The reels do not have line counters on them so we will be best guessing the depth by hand and the Dipsy settings.

Measure the inches per pass across the spool to get approx line out. So maybe 1 pass is 15ft? 10 gets you 150ft out. The concept is repeating if you get a hit or catch one. Don't sweat this. Just note how far each is out then down on the dipsy chart and per setting and line size type. You could run some leadcore on one of the 7000's with a softer rod. I used muskie rods for a while too, a mh and a heavy. Enjoy!

Put snubbers on the dipsey lines. With muskie rods and PP there will be little give when a fish hits and shakes it's head. Have fun!

Thanks for the tips. 1 pass was exactly 15' by the way. We head out Friday morning for our first try. I picked up 2 of the 700 Yellowbird planer boards. No copper yet, but we have that on the list with leadcore on the list as well. Will use the snubbers for sure. On the way home we will stop by the store to get the 150' copper, and also a 300' copper spool. Watched NFN on youtube again with my boy's, and after a few beers it's get's funny.

My Patience is good and understand that I'm cutting my teeth so safety first and fun second. No clue if trolling direction in regards to N S E W is important yet. Look for marks on the graph and go for it I guess. Thinking we will run out until we hit 250' or so and start there if we are marking fish. And keep my distance from other fisherman is a Courtesy I will apply.

I always try to troll with the wind at my back

Makes it much easier to control the boat if its windy

First trip went so so. The one thing I didn't consider was the effect of the waves on my son. Everything was fine until we slowed down to deploy the rigs. The steady rocking and movement was too much and poor Jack was chumming the water. He hung in for 20 min and I called it even though he said he would be OK. Nope, I pulled up and headed back in. Managed a small rainbow on a spoon about 40' down in 190' deep trolling at 2.5

Jack rallied in the harbor and casted for a few hours. Wanted to give it another go, so we we tried once more. This time not so far out before I slowed to deploy the rigs. Lasted 10 min and Jack starting chumming again. Next time out will get the dramamine (spelling) and wait for calmer waters. I felt terrible for him, but was not going to let him suffer by staying out.

It weird how this happens to some folks. I never had this happen to me in any conditions and I have been in some heavy stuff on both LM and in the ocean.

Gearing up for the next adventure. Got wire 47lb test in 300' and 150' with new rods for those set ups. Need to work on boat control. This is not as easy as I thought and I have a skill set to develop. Managed to get a tangle and discovered the joy of how bad and expensive doing that is. Pressed to hard thinking I could sneak another line on the inside. Nope and I paid for it and learned a lesson.

Safe fishing everyone. Water is cooling off, so it may be Muskies for the most part rest of this season. Maybe..

Make sure your son knows to keep an eye on the horizon. That really helps me when it is churning. Kuddos to you for putting your son having a good experience above lengthening your fishing trip... good decision!

Take your sons on a charter trip. Not only will you catch fish but you'll learn more on one trip from a Pro about Salmon fishing than you would by yourself in a season. Worked for me.

Non drowsy formula otherwise he'll be napping.