Great Lakes Angler Forum

Fishing Grand Marais??

Anyone have anything to report for Grand Marais area?

I was up in GM last weekend. 55 degree water caught 4 coho on boards, lead core and as deep as 110 on riggers. Purple, orange and blue spoons. Picked up a couple trout but mostly targeted salmon up higher. The trout still seemed to be hugging bottom in 200 +. I heard of a few kings being caught so I think it might be picking up for salmon up there.

Good news, thanks for the feedback, were you fishing east or west of GM? Did you try any flasher-fly combo's? I'm driving up next week for a few weeks, I hope your right about the salmon bite picking up. Thanks again for the info.

Fished east and west though not more than 2 miles either way. 2 were caught right off the point over 250 feet on boards. Tried a flasher fly and flasher spoon but didn't work for me . Look for the warmer water and good luck fishing.

Was just up there a few days earlier this week. Cold water, but the Coho/King bite was very good. Caught them E and W. Below is my report from the Superior Fishing FB group, hope it helps and good luck:

Spent a couple days early this week fishingTac Harbor/Grand Marais. Original plan was to head over to IR, but woke up that morning to fog and a pretty ominous looking line of wx moving in from the NW, so made a last minute call to not make the crossing and fish GM-Tac instead along with a little hiking/blueberry picking.

COLD water - 40 degree surface temps out of GM and 47 out of Tac. Regardless, Steady Coho/King action each day in 85-120 FOW on 3-5 colors of lead in particular, but Coho rigs and dodger/squid on riggers and dipsys down 20-30' picked up a few each day as well.

FB '57 Chevy and Flannel Shirt spoons were lights out for the Coho on the LC rods.

Plucked plenty of smallish 3-7# Lakers as well dragging bottom with SnG's and/or a mag size Agent Orange spoon, but very few higher in the water column. The Coho wanted it fast 2.8-3.0, which, I'm sure limited our Laker catch, until we slowed things down and ran more of a trout spread later in the mornings and early afternoons once the coho bite waned.

Did try running out 4-5 miles to 53 degree surface water and tried bracketing the temp break looking for larger suspended Lakers, but few marks and no hits in a couple of hours so we moved back onshore for the smaller, but more consistent action.

Other than the one day of fog/rain, gorgeous weather and a well behaved lake. Combine that with enthusiastic silver fish and it more than made up for the disappointment of postponing Isle Royale.

A little grilled coho and wild blueberry crisp on the menu this weekend

Tight lines to everyone out there later this week and over the weekend!"

Let us know how you do as I’m probably headed right back up there the week after Labor Day

IMG_1572.jpeg

Last edited by Mleslie347; 08-24-2019 at 08:50 AM. Reason: formatting

Great info, thanks very much.

What does a flannel shirt spoon look like? I cant find a pic anywhere.

The Jim's Flashback I have that supposedly is "flannel shirt" is a silver blank, with purple down both edges of the front face along with pink dots. I left the spoon box up in the boat so can't shoot you a picture, but will try to find one online and update my reply if I can find one.

Found and old flashback color chart. End of the 2nd row down. Has actually become one of my go-to's over the past several years.

FLASHBACK-CLASSIC.gif
    Last edited by Mleslie347; 08-26-2019 at 08:34 AM. Reason: found photo

Let me also suggest you order up a marine general fishing hard catalog and it'll have names with every spoon you could think of using on the great lakes. Very helpful for when someone mentions one you're not familiar with.

I think I have that color spoon, just didn't know what it was called. I'll try calling Marine General for a catalog. Thanks very much for your generous help.