Great Lakes Angler Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flasher/Flies help????

I have been dabbling with F/Fs but just cant seem to get them to fire. Typically running 8 protroll style flashers and flies 15-24 back. Have been running off riggers and dipseys and just not catching fish with them. Any tips tricks or ideas I should try? Shorter or longer leads.... farther or closer to ball. Im catching fish on spoons so I know I am on fish but have no confidence in the FF game right now. Thanks for the help.

I hope you get some good feedback. I have not fished F/F's, I've tied up a variety peanut flies, my style, and plan on giving them a work out. Any feedback you get will also help me out. Lets hope we both get some good advise.

I typically run them 50-75 feet behind my balls. Color for me seems to be the biggest struggle. The Greens seem to work the best along with Multicolor with chrome. I also favor the dreamweaver style rotators. Of course watch your speed. Or change your speeds. Good luck. It will happen.

Sometimes it is just a spoon bite. I do like to keep one flasher/fly in the spread to keep them looking though and hopefully raw them into the spread. Sometimes is is a FF bite... let the fish tell you. I run them 20-25 behind the ball or on a wire or braid dipsey. Shorter leads get you more kick from the spinner also minimizes tangle potential Tangles when a spinner hits another line are a PIA. There is little stealth about them so no worry about being close to the ball or dipsey.

+1 on draw them into the spread.

Perhaps there is a spoon just hammering them. Pull a FF and put another spoon like it down and the fish quit biting... Or did the flasher interest them for a bit and they decided to find a spoon and behold another fish in the box. If you are catching fish, don't mess with success.

Count me as someone who usually has at least one F/F in my spread at the start of the day. I agree that it helps draw fish into the spread. Numbers-wise spoons almost always out-produce them (summer/fall fishing), but the average size is better on the F/F and the largest fish of the day often comes on it. If the fish show a clear preference for spoons after a couple hours, I'll switch it out for a spoon.

My experience on Lake Michigan is basically the opposite, with F/F catching most of my fish and dominating my spread.

Thanks for the tips. I will keep at it!

I wouldn't say not to try them, but I've never had any real success with them on Superior. At least standard size flashers and standard size flies. I know guys catch fish on them but I've almost completely given up on them and I catch fish more consistently now then I used to. Don't get locked in to what everyone else is doing. There's allot of very productive techniques that guys use on the west coast that work just as well or better for catching fish on Superior then the standby spoons and standard FF.

What west coast techniques are you talking about, can't drop a little tidbit like that without explaining, at least to us new guys

Ive had much better success running a spin n glow behind my flashers than a fly. Part of that may just because I fish it more due to past success.

Dodger and flys work much better, they out produce a flasher by a lot on my boat on Superior.

Don't give up on the flashers Once the surface bite slows down there it's rare that I won't be running at least one flasher with either a fly or sng. I normally run my flasher 10-20 ft behind the ball, and is usually my deepest rod.

Dodger/fly combos definitely will put fish in the boat but they are much more speed intolerant than flasher/fly combos. If running dodgers with spoons you need to use spoons that will work at the slower speeds dodgers like. Generally I will run a flasher with spoons and troll faster so speed matching baits is less of an issue. When I do run dodgers I like the old school plain silver dodger with a silver fly but green/white dodgers also have put many fish in the box on Superior. Spin N Glos have their times too.

I've down sized them in the last year's and had success.

Does anyone use any fly other than peanut flies? I tied my version of a bloody nose fly, I'm going to try and tie some other flies based on some of the spoons that are common. Has anyone else try this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast