Great Lakes Angler Forum

Calling all Anglers Need Help! And Fishing Report Milwaukee 9/14

Hello All my Fellow Lake Michigan Anglers,

My name is Maxwell Morgan I am a research scientist on Lake Michigan and an avid fisherman out of Milwaukee. Currently I am starting a (pretend) research project to study the recent trends in Coho Salmon. This is in no way being used for any regulatory use or decision making. It is purely for my interest and passion for Great Lakes fisheries and a class project. I am currently getting my masters degree at UWM School of Freshwater Sciences and this is a topic that has always fascinated me.

It has been heard on the grapevine that in early spring Coho salmon have bellies full of "shrimp." These shrimp are called Mysis. Since the disappearance of the
    Diporeia (http://iaglr.org/jglr/release/37/37_1_9-17.php), most likely due to the invasive mussels, these shrimp have become a much more important food source for not only alewife, but Coho alike.

It is my understanding that in early spring Coho predate on these shrimp heavily. Then at some point, as they move clockwise around the southern basin of the lake and the water warms up, they switch to a predominately Alewife diet. It would be a huge help to me if anyone has any pictures of Coho gut contents or knowledge/advice on this.

I personally think of myself as a fisherman first and a scientist second. I have always advicated for the cooperation of these two groups. You guys are out there all the time and have a much more practical knowledge of the lake. Please help me to bridge this gap! All your feedback is greatly appreciated. I hope you all have had a chance to cash in on the fall fishing run. My personal email is maxwell2383@yahoo.com if you are more comfortable with that.

Finally fishing report from Saturday 09/14 out of Milwaukee. Nice fin clipped female on an 8 color Kevorkian spoon in 65 ft of water.

Thanks again
    Max

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Perch23; 09-20-2019 at 01:43 PM.

I have no Idea on how to get that picture upright but there you go, here is my upside down salmon :)

I have not made a habit of taking an image of the contents of a fish's gut. I did take one earlier this summer of a laker's gut content. Its interesting, but out of Superior. I expect to post it this winter.

Here is a link to an article from the SU website containing a picture of stomach contents found in Coho bellies back in 2016. We saw the same thing in '17, but not to the same degree. In 2016, the fishery was entirely a deepwater one for most of the year out of Winthrop Harbor and most ports on the west side of the southern basin, and even the Alewives stayed out deep eating the Shrimp well past their normal spawn schedule.
    https://www.salmonunlimitedinc.com/s...Opposum-Shrimp

Since you are interested in stomach contents of fish, you may find this photo of interest as well. This is a 12" Coho I found in the belly of a 17# Laker we caught the same year. Hope you have a strong stomach, lol.

This is awesome! Thanks Guys. SU article is exactly what I am looking for and that Laker must have been hungry!! Haha holy cow. I guess Coho are pretty tasty though, cant blame him. Greybeard did provide some solid pictures to prove that this is an actual phenomenon. I am starting to think that it is only apparent in the deep water fish. Attached are the pictures from Greybeard (thank you so much you are the man!), anything that can back this theory up would be great. I am also not apposed to getting any fish gut pictures you have, my stomach is strong ;) and I find it very interesting.

Thank you,
    Max