Great Lakes Angler Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kicker motor, which one?

Please excuse the broad subject line, but...

I am thinking about getting a kicker motor and need pro help.
    I have a SLICKCRAFT SS-235 with an OMC regular stringer drive.

Its a 23' fiberglass boat, so it has some weight to it...

I want a 4 Stroke so I don't have to mess around with a seperate gas tank and seperate mixing of oil... Also, I want to tie into the main gas tank for fuel.

What brands/HP and shaft length have you guys had luck with.

I already have a BREMER ST-20 spring loaded kicker mount and believe it will hold up to a 20 HP motor.

I was thinking about an older (1999) HONDA BF15A, any opinions?

I cannot afford a new Yamaha bigfoot, or a remote steering, or a remote throtttle, just want a solid basic setup to keep hours off of my main motor and troll for Salmon...

RE: Kicker motor, which one?

Dirk,I ran a 9.9 Yamaha high thrust on my last boat(22'Trophy)for 10 years,and I now run a T8 8hp Yamaha on my 23 Seacraft.Both of these motors perform flawlessly,and push the boats at all salmon speeds.

My Seacraft weighs in around 5600 lbs and the T8 pushes it effortlessly.
    A friend of mine runs a 9.9 Honda kicker and loves it.
    I don't think you would go wrong with a used one by either Yamaha or Honda.
    OOPS! I forgot, both of these were long shaft motors.I would never be without a kicker.I love it.It sips fuel,saves wear on the primary engine and outdrive,and can get me home in an emergency.
    John R.
    * Boat- 23' SeaCraft Tsunami
    * Port- Olcott NY.

As stated by others....

You will never go wrong with the Honda/Yammie.

I have had a 7.5hp honda short shaft and that was too small.

I now have a 9.9hp Merc 25" shaft big foot and love it.

I think the powerhead was made by yamaha as I recall.

I would think any of the newer 4 stroke long shaft motors would be ideal.

I think it comes down to what you can find used. Stick with the major brands; Honda, Yamaha, or Suzuki. I dont have anything right now, just a bunch of older 2 strokes. That Honda you mentioned should do a good job.

Honda makes the best kicker engine in the industry but also the most expensive, there is no question about that. They moved to a different generation of engines in about 2001 which is what really set them apart. Standard 12 amp charging systems, spin on oil filters, Auto Start Enrichment, 5 Year Factory Warrenty, and much more. If finacing is an option Honda has 4.99% right now.
    Ryan
    Johnson City, TN (Formerly Calumet City, IL)

USCG Captain - 50 Ton Master - NMEA Certified MEI

I would love a newer generation Honda, but I have a line on a 1999 BF15A for $1200 locally so I can get it without shipping.

I guess it would be good, judt gotta work out how it will be mounted so as to not interfere with my downriggers on that side of the boat...

Now, Is it advisable to tap into the main tank for fuel? Wonder what the coast guard would think about the fuel lines setup?

D.O.N.
    ( you'd think I get one of those fancy

Tap into the main tank and smile all day long.

I put a Controllking on my 20hp Honda...all i can say is GET ONE! adjusting the throttle is now EFFORTLESS! One tenth of a mph. adjustments with a touch of the dial. I WOULD NOT be without one ever again. Under $200 ! I think i bought it from someone on this site but i can't remember. Google it!

Dirk, I have run a 7.5 Honda on my 20' sea ray since 83. I put a T in the line on the stern right before the fuel line drops into the cut out in the floor for the dog house,this is also before the fuel separator/filter. Have not had one issue with this set up.
    ><> ><> RR <>< <><

If you have a plug in the top of the tank where a pickup can be installed then that is the best route.

A fuel valve or fuel filter with necessary check valves would also work.

NEVER "T" the fuel line, this can lead to problems. Some people get lucky and get by with it but i do not advise doing that in any application.
    Ryan
    Johnson City, TN (Formerly Calumet City, IL)

USCG Captain - 50 Ton Master - NMEA Certified MEI

keithg Guest

almost a year and a half with a Yamaha T 9.9 on a 30 ft penn yann with no issues.slow is no problem, wot is 6-6.5 mph.Nemisis is a control-king dealor if you want one pm him.i still adjust speed the hardway.

Yes, I have a gas tank with the fitting on top and can plumb a line with shutoff and remote filter/water seperator.

Its going to be a B!tcH to install a backing plate on the inside of the transom for the bracket.

We'll see how it goes. Now to figure out how low to place it? I know where the resting waterline is, does it go there (or within a few inches?)

D.O.N.

Honda 15

Dirk-

I bought new a Honda longshaft 15hp back in 1995 & I have been running it ever since without issue. Sips gas & is very quiet.

After its annual winter hibernation, my first trip typically requires only a 2 pull start.

The only thing I would be mindful of is the weight of the kicker & the rating of your bracket. Back when I purchased mine, the 15 & 9.9 weighed the same (not with current models), so if engine weight is a concern, you might need to go to a smaller hp rated engine (8.0) depending on what year it was manufactured.

I also added a wired remote throttle (TrollMaster), but I went one step farther than Tripplelindy & added a tiller mounted autopilot with wired remote. I can basically sit in the bow of my tiller powered boat & drive it from there.

RE: Honda 15

My kicker mount is a Bremer TW20. All the parts are heavy duty cast Aluminum.

Can I resonably assume that it is rated to 20 HP? The Honda 15 Longshaft does not appear to be as Brutishly built as its american counterparts like Johnnyrude and Mercury.

Although as a 4 stroke it does have more parts than a 2 stroke.

I do not believe Bremer is in business anymore and could not find a weight rating for my bracket online, just the "TW20" cast into it.

D.O.N.

8hp high thrust Yammi on my 20 Pursuit and love it

Yes, I am a distributor for Controllking.
    All units are under $200. shipped to your door.
    Email me at bewired@comcast.net Need your make, model, hp and stroke.

Born to fish but forced to work.

Brad W.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast