Great Lakes Angler Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    reellucky Guest

nasty biting flies-HELP!

Does anyone have suggestions for keeping those incredibly viscious biting flies out of the boat?

I've been 10 miles out and they still find me.

I've thought of spraying the boat with pyrethrin, like what you spray onto horses to keep the flies off, but am afraid of what it might do to the lures that could brush against the boat.

Any help is appreciated.

RE: nasty biting flies-HELP!

Best of luck in your quest for an answer.Ive tired allot of methods over the years and none of them have worked for me. Being resilient and a blood transfusion at the end of the day are the only things that i know that work!:7 :7 :7

take a buddy that is wearing shorts.

I learned a long time ago to wear high top hikers (soft sole, of course) on my feet and long pants. If some guy wants to suffer in flip-flops and shorts, that's his biz. I want protection from biting critters, and they most often hang near the floor and bite ankles.

If you apply dishwashing liquid to the affected areas (primarily the ankles), they will not even land on you, at least until you sweat it off and have to re-apply. Learned this the hard way at Lake of the Woods in August when they were unbearable. REALLY DOES WORK.

JGESox

"There is a time for every species under heaven...

When the wind stops blowing the flies start biting. I just use cutter and they stop biting the ankles and life is good

Gone Wishin!

downtoearthcop Guest

There is this stuff I bought at Tractor Supply that is used for horses. I can't remember the name of it. I spray it on my boat floor, under the rails, etc.... Its the best $10 cure I have found. One bottle will last 20 or so trips.

Craig A.K.A. "SICK TIME"
    Shurestrike Inc. "The Ultimate Cut Bait Rig"
    www.Shurestrike.com

Fankles... Fake Ankles, we were talking about this over a few beers last week. The way we see it is, you need to make a mold of someones feet and ankles, attach a pair of flip flops and place them all around the boat. Apply a small amount of fish blood to the "Fankles" (patened pending)and tthe flys will be attracted to the "Fankles" and not you.

What do you think?
    Jim

I think you could probably sell your "fankle" invention to BullBob (the inventor of the Bullet Bobber)! Soon he'd have cornered the entire market for stupid fishing gear.:+

Mosquito netting suit. When they start biting, I put on the pants and make sure my feet are inside the material too. That way I can wear shorts and sandles. It is still a bit hot, but not as warm as wearing armor.

I have to try dishwashing soap! It will keep me feet clean too. :+

TT

bump your trolling speed to 10mph they cant fly that fast

Fankles, LMAO.

That realtively new product (2-3 years old) that claims to be scent free (deer stand) and keeps bugs away in a 25 square foot zone, or something like that, really works. I can't think of the name of it, but was in a buddies boat and it worked, it really did work, so I bought one and am impressed. Which is kinda nice... to actually have a product do what is says these days. Most outdoor places have them, they are about $20.00, and operate on a battery and an changeable pad. Lay it on the floor and that stuff will waft around and chase the bugs out, works on flies, gnats, lake flies, & skeeters (not the boats though) I wish I could remember the name of it. Oh well, I'm sure someone knows the name of it. If your boat is bigger than mine, buy two. :)

My guess is the best chance for Fankles to make it is to get Ron Popiel to market and promote them. If he could get millions to buy Pocket Fisherman and so many other TV sold gizmos, you can bet he'd sell Fankles.

In the meantime, send me the prototypes. At least one should be a Cyd Charisse similie (and maybe a Juliette Prowse, an Angie Dickinson, a Mary Hart, etc....)

Incidentally, I think the product of which Gings speaks is ThermaCELL. It even comes with a holster so you can move about with it. Hunters have given it some good raves.

ThermaCell it is, thank you. The old fashioned can of OFF, or Deepwoods Cutter, or whatever, works pretty good too, but you have to keep spraying it every 20 mins and it stinks. We nicknamed name any type of ankle biting fly/bug/critter a "whitesocks" fly... 'cause we all had whitesocks on. Is it spring yet?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast