Great Lakes Angler Forum

Jet Diver Question / Dive Chart

I have decided to make the switch from mini discs to jet divers. I have a bunch of #20 and #30 jets. I am trying to figure out some type of dive cruve for them. I looked in the Precision Trolling book and the dive cruve just does not seem right. I just can't belive that I have to let out 100 plus feet of 10lb to get down 20 feet with a #20 like the book says and the curve is almost the same for a #20 as the #30. Plus the curve in the book is for 10lb or 30lb line, I normally run 15lb mono with the discs. So what size jets do you guys use? On which what size line? How far do I have to let back a #20 in 20 f.o.w. to hit bottom or a #30 in 30 f.o.w.? I plan on spending a bunch of time this weekend to figure out the program but I am just looking for a starting point.
    Thanks for the help,

Andy Busch

blahblahduchunter Guest

RE: Jet Diver Question / Dive Chart

Andy,
    i run 40 jets on erie and occasionally throw a thirty in there. in 26-28 fow water i run my 40's back 65-70 or my jet 30's back 80-85. if the water depth gets over 30 i move my 40's back to 85-90 and my 30's back to 110. i have 20# mono on my reels and it seems to pull the jets real nice. i agree with you on the precision trollin book the chart is way off. i can tell you at the depths i run my jets as stated above i know i am just cruising across the bottom and i have never(knock on wood) lost a jet by snagging the bottom. i also normally troll at between 2.0-2.4 mph. and almost exclusively pull the mi. stinger scorpion spoons.

brdhntr Guest

Not sure what version of Precision Trolling you are using. The one I have has 3 curves for three sets of holes in the diver (newer divers only have the hole for the steepest curve). I have been trolling Jet20s in 25FOW setting them at 85-90 back which is what the book says is 24'. When I hit into less than 24', I was reeling in zebras on my harnesses. I do know that the curve in the big water edition is slightly different than the one in Precision Trolling regular edition, but not by much.

brdhntr Guest

Ok, I have both books in front of me. It appears that the first printing of the Big Water edition is showing the curve for the middle of the 3 holes. My Troller's Bible 6th edition has all 3 curves, and if you are using the top hole, you need about 65' of line out to go down 20'.

brdhntr Guest

Want to add:
    The curves in the two books are off by about 10' of line out when using the middle curve at 20'. I know that the curve in the 6th edition is pretty darn close from having hit bottom.

Todd,

Thanks for the help! I just returned from a few days on the bay. I did spend some time playing with the jets. I ran 15lb Big Game with a #30 jet to a 10lb flouro leader. The jet touched bottom in 25 FOW with about 80 feet of line out. I kept the boat in about 28-30 FOW and caught all the walleyes I could ever want. I found the #30 jets to be much better at rolling over with a small fish on also, very few draggers. The #20 would still pull with a little dinker on. I was able to get the #20 down to the 25-26' depth but had to let out a fair amount more of line. In all the jets were awesome and I doubt that I will get my mini discs back out anytime soon. Yeck spoons in the Measels and Jagar Bomb color pattern might have caught 30-40 fish a piece over the weekend. The Yeck Pat's Bait color in a standard size ran off my corner dispy's caught some of the better fish of the trip also.

I read your question this morning, this past year I changed over to jet divers as well I wish I had done this before. I e-mailed Mark Romanack which I already got a reply back and this is what he wrote.

Doug: I'll try to clear up things a bit. First off, the number
    designation on the Jet Divers is useless. The 10 dives much deeper
    than 10 feet, the 20 deeper than 20 feet, the 30 barely achieves this
    depth and the 40 doesn't even come close to 40 feet.

Secondly, the lines used on these devices makes a huge difference. The
    thin lines allow them to dive much deeper. We tested the 20 on a
    variety of different lines including 10# Mono, 10/4 Fireline, 30#
    braid and also 30# wire. Each delivers different results.

Early data published in Precision Trolling, not the Big Water Edition
    was conducted with Jets that were different in design and no longer
    produced. The most accurate data available is published in our Big
    Water Edition and also Big Water Edition 2. I hope this clears things
    up.

Thanks for writing,

Mark
    boets crew
    home port Holland

I agree with you on the precision trollin book the chart is way off. i can tell you at the depths i run my jets as stated above i know i am just cruising across the bottom and i have never(knock on wood) lost a jet by snagging the bottom. i also normally troll at between 2.0-2.4 mph. and almost exclusively pull the mi. stinger scorpion spoons???
    == Chess ==