Great Lakes Angler Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead core depth

Lead core depth

Anybody run lead core with crawler harnesses? Does it work? What is the depth for 1, 2 and 3 colors of lead core only running 1.0 mph?
    Thanks.
    David S

brdhntr Guest

RE: Lead core depth

If you are fishing the shallow West Basin, there is a lot more versatility in mono and use snap weights, jet divers, mini disks, and bottom bouncers to get you where you need to be. It will work, but you are going to want to use short lengths unless you are in the deeper central basin.

David S. - I've only been trolling for walleyes a couple years now after 17 years of trolling salmon. I typically fish spinners and run 2 boards off each side and a bottom bouncer off one side and a 2-color 17# lead core off the other. I haven't kept records, but I'm convinced that the LC catches more fish that any other rod. I have no idea why...When I'm in 8-12 FOW I don't use all of the 2 colors.

I've caught 3 or 4 fish on the LC while putting the line out and don't recall catching any on the monos as I'm putting them out. ???

I'd try one if I were you.

Thatsakeeper, Dammit Dave

brdhntr Guest

>
    >David S. - I've only been trolling for walleyes a couple years
    >now after 17 years of trolling salmon. I typically fish
    >spinners and run 2 boards off each side and a bottom bouncer
    >off one side and a 2-color 17# lead core off the other. I
    >haven't kept records, but I'm convinced that the LC catches
    >more fish that any other rod. I have no idea why...When I'm in
    >8-12 FOW I don't use all of the 2 colors.
    >
    >I've caught 3 or 4 fish on the LC while putting the line out
    >and don't recall catching any on the monos as I'm putting them
    >out. ???
    >
    >I'd try one if I were you.
    >
    >Thatsakeeper, Dammit Dave

Because the lead core is likely higher off the bottom where the actively feeding fish are located. My Jets, small dipseys, and snap weights almost always catch more fish than the bottom bouncer, but since I'm only fishing about 20 FOW, I almost always run one so I have the whole water column covered, until I find a pattern and need to run the BB higher.

I do keep records, every fish in the boat is recorded. This year I started tracking waypoint #, lure type, color, method used, time of day, depth of water, and size of fish, water and weather conditions.

Thanks for the replies, very helpful! Keep them coming. Do any of you know about how far down your baits are at 1.0 mph with your lead core presentations? I am thinking shorter cores 1, 2 and 3 would be enough at that speed for Green Bay and Erie(Marblehead). I know the core depths at 2-2.5 mph, but I am looking for help with LC depths at 1.0 mph. Any certain spoons or harnesses work best off the cores at this speed? Thanks again.
    David

My best producer was 3 colors with a Warrior Flutter spoon or the little warriors. As far as depth at 1 mph you might get a foot or 2 with your cores. What test are you using on your cores.
    Big Papa Sports

I have both 18lb and 27lb lead core. So at 1.0 mph it would only drop 1-2 more feet than at 2-2.5mph?
    David

What kind of backing and what test are you using. Sink rates should be the same with either 18 or 27. How much backing are you putting out. Are you clipping on boards.
    Big Papa Sports

At 1 mph, I would think lead would drop pretty good. I have not tried, but in 8-15 feet of water and 1 mph, I would be concerned about snagging up with even one color of lead plus the leader out. This would be even more pronounced when turning toward that board. On Green Bay, there are a lot of suspended fish.

TT

Home ports: Green Bay, Kewaunee

I'd rather work with irrational numbers than irrational people or fish...

We've been running 2 and 3 colors of lead the past few years on Saginaw Bay with great success. Although we primarily run them with spoons and cranks, I will be trying core with spinners this spring/summer. I plan on splicing in some mono at every color change so I can adjust accordingly to the depth I'm fishing.

Running spoons we troll any where from 2.0 to 3.0 SOG and depending on our depth, we've hit bottom. The bay doesn't get any deeper than 26-28 fow where I usually fish so it will be interesting to see how the core performs going much slower than I normally troll with it.

I have added some cores to my spread and they work great. I have used spoons and crawler harnesses, they both catch fish but I prefer too use spoons, due to all the bait stealers. It gets kinda old haveing to rebait after a short hit. But all in all I would say, I wont go out, without it.

I might be totally off, but I was under the assumption that if you half your trolling speed i.e. 1.0 mph for walleye, your lead core will almost double in depth.

That is what I am trying to get info on. Just how deep are segments of lead core at 1.0 mph? Anybody else know if double the depth is right? Thanks.
    David

I'll run one this saturday to let you know. We'll be in 18' of water so it'll be pretty easy to tell how deep it gets.

ok, ran a 2 color off the boat, at 1.2 mph it was bouncing just barely off the bottom in 18' of water. In 20' of water, it wasn't hitting bottom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast