brine ingredients:

2 cups of brown sugar

1/3 cup of canning salt

2 tbs. garlic salt

2 tbs. onion salt

2 tbs. celery salt

2 tbs. dry mustard

2 tbs. black pepper

mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. as this is a dry brine recipe, no liquids should be added. you will need a large 3 inch deep pan to cure fish in.

place fillets skin side down in your pan and coat heavily with brine mix. cover with a piece of foil or saran wrap and place in refrigerator for 24 hours.

after salmon has cured for 24 hours remove from refrigerator and rinse with cold water. pat dry with paper towel and place on smoker rack. let fillets air dry for at least 30 mins before smoking.

use either apple or alder wood for smoking.

RE: dry brine for salmon or trout

Thanks for posting this RW!

I made it saturday and it turned out very well. I will adjust the ingredients just a bit for my preference but the plate came back clean.

cheers
    jerry

I prefer dry brining and this recipe gives me some ideas for future batches. I prefer to season my fish after they are brined with the salt and sugar. By seasoning the surface of the fish after brining I have the ability to make every piece of fish different. The part of this recipe I will try is cutting my current salt quantity back and brine longer then I do now. I normally do 50/50 salt to brown sugar and only brine for four hours. If I follow this salt to sugar ratio (with the longer brine process)I'm guessing I will get a slightly sweeter fish without over-salting.

Thanks for the tip! Owen

i tried this recipe and it came out salty i followed the dierctions to the T...what did i do wrong?

im going to try less salt and brine 12 hrs and see what happens i probably had more ingrediants than i needed for the amount of fish i had, it looked good though.

rob

just smoked some more using this recipe cut back on salt a little bit only brined it 14 hours, smoked for 6 hrs turned out awsome.

rob

slimjim Guest

I met Owen this weekend at my buddies fish outing. I have to say his smoked fish was some of the best I've ever had! I kept out a few fillets to give the dry brining a shot myself. It was great to meet and talk with some more fellow great lakes anglers.

Just got a smoker for Christmas and looked here for a recipe to try. My salmon was skinned and boneless.

I just sampled and it is way too salty. Probably too salty to eat and I followed the recipe exactly. It was in the dry brine mix about 16 hours. Maybe because the fish were skinned and they were smaller filets too??

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks and Happy New Year.

Mike

Yooperdad
    Mike's Eyeflies
    www.eyeflies.com

Hi,

the saltyness will vary based upon several things, including how long you brine, the portion of salt in the brine, moisture in the fish and even the type of salt. so experiment a bit.

the exact version i have zeroed in on is:

2 cups of brown sugar

1/3 cup of canning salt (morton's kosher salt)

2 tbs. garlic POWDER

2 tbs. onion POWDER

2 tbs. dry mustard

2 tbs. black pepper

i use the 24 hour time and it has worked fine for me. I also rinse and dry each piece after i take it out of the brine and then lay on a rack to air dry under a small fan for an hour or two before it hits the smoker.

try different things and you will find what works to your taste. you can easily cut this recipe in half, or in fourths and make several versions side by side for a test run. that way you will not have too much fish invested in experiments.

keep trying, you'll get it!

jerry

Thanks for the reply Jerry. The recipe I used was pretty close to your post.

Are your fish skinned when you brine them? Perhaps mine being skinned allowed too much salt to be absorbed?

Have a pork roast in the smoker today, with apple wood. Yum!

Mike

Yooperdad
    Mike's Eyeflies
    www.eyeflies.com

glad you guys liked it!

yeah, i keep the skin on also. i like my smoked fish a little on the salty side. i would give it a shot with the skin once and see if that works for you. if it's still to salty, just cut back on the salt a little and see how that work's out for you. give that a shot. let me know how it turns out for you. good fishin'

+ Reply to Thread