Great Lakes Angler Forum

+ Reply to Thread

1971 21' Chieftain--advise needed

Hello, I am new to the board. I am considering buying a 21' Chieftain. It is a Mercruiser inline 6. I have not heard it run, but the owner says is runs very well. He will run it for me if I get serious. The outdrive appears to be in good shape. The cockpit floor is removed. The cuddy floor is pretty solid. The glass is good. It is not rigged at all. It's on a dual axle trailer, early 70's vintage that is going to need four tires. It doesn't appear to have any damage to the hull, but it needs some cleaning. The interior hull is spotless as far as the aluminum is concerned. The owner is asking $1,500 OBO. Does anyone have an idea of whether this is a fair price? What should I be looking for in this boat that would either scare me away or cause me to hand the guy the money? I appreciate any and all advice.

Regards,
    Dusty

RE: 1971 21' Chieftain--advise needed

check the transom, that is up to a $1,000 repair if you can't do it yourself. I have looked at 2 with rotted transoms and it is one of the reasons these boats are put up for sale partially restored. Make sure feel all the way to the bottom...underneath the housing where the drive shaft goes through the transom

Thanks for the advice. I will make sure to poke around on that transom thoroughly.

Anyone else have words on this?

Thanks

I have sorted out lots of problems on mine, including the transom job.

i have the same year and engine. if the engine and outdrive are in good shape then $1500 seems fair. if the transom is soft, well you decide if you want to fix it. I fixed mine, spent $300 on materials, then $650 on new boots for the outdrive and a gimbal bearing. I paid a similar price to yours. Look at the boots on the outdrive, that's $500 to replace every five years or so, is there are cracks in the folds its due.

now on the up side: 28 trips with the boat, never skunked and more than 20 trips with limits.

worth it: hell yeah,

Pain in the ##### at times: hell yeah

If you are near me I would be willing to look the thing over with you since i have some expertise, buy my lunch and we'll call it good.

if you wanna fish on mine get in touch. I fish in anything that is 3 feet or less, hoping to go saturday if the weather is there.

cheers
    jerry

look at my thread down the page if you like.

+ Reply to Thread