Great Lakes Angler Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Cannon downriggers unveiled at ICAST

Click here for details and a picture: http://myblog.billyvsportfishing.com/

I'll tell you this - we've been testing them for most of the season and they're SWEET!

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2.../bg_p5q2-1.jpg

Capt. Bill Ruth
    Billy V Sportfishing
    Wilson/Sodus Point, NY
    http://myblog.billyvsportfishing.com
    www.billyvsportfishing.com

RE: New Cannon downriggers unveiled at ICAST

Respectfully, how can Cannon justify the price of these riggers? The most expensive Big Jon, Scotty, Walker, Vector, and such is literally half the price of the most expensive Cannon. I know its a free country and I'm not knocking Cannon for making adjustments. People have their favorites, but I can tell you Cannon is never a consideration for my boat (unless they start competitively pricing their product).

Sorry to rant, I do honestly appreciate you posting the pics.

I am not a big fan of the design of the Cannon riggers -- too big and bulky, but their high-end models have features that no other downrigger offer. The computer on them allows interphasing to the Humminbird depth sounder to follow a bottom contour or to program them to ossolate at predetermined intervals. Not everyone needs these features but if you want to pay for them, you can only get them with Cannons.

At around $370 for the MAG 5 HS or $500 for the MAG 10 HS, they are pretty competively priced for a rigger than does 250'/minute, handles a 20# ball, has the short-stop feature and positive ion control.

[big][font color="navy"]Ryan
    Think [/font][font color="green"]KINGS!! [/font]
    [/big]

You forgot to add the price of a decent rodholder(s). How much is that 150-250.

Per the news release...

"Standard with all of the new Cannon electric downrigger models is are designed dual axis rod holder. A unique ratcheting system allows for quick angle changes of the rod. These innovative rod holders can be easily pulled into a vertical position. They also rotate a full 360degrees for added versatility."

I agree that the plastic ones that come with the Cannons I have seen pretty much suck. But, I have 4 of the Cannon track mount dual axis rod holders and they are nice. From the worst rod holders to one of the best.

[big][font color="navy"]Ryan
    Think [/font][font color="green"]KINGS!! [/font]
    [/big]

I agree that the rod holders look great, way better than the old tubular ones, and great to see that they don't upcharge for them. I have to say that in this kind of economy, how can they price a downrigger that high?? What market are they appealing to? Shame, because I think they look alot nicer than the older models.

-Champ

honda cat Guest

i have a cannon rigger that has been back to cannon for factory service 3 times since new only two years old
    every time it's back for 2-3 weeks it comes back with the same problem
    cannon "looses connection" with the graff we have changed cables changed terminators cannon says its a hummingbird problem hummingbird says its a cannon problem used to think it was a connection but now we turn it on with the boat on the trailer no one near the boat after about ten minutes it get the lost signal on the graff
    anyone have a idea of what’s wrong ?
    i have spent hours on the phone with cannon and hummingbird
    spend more than a few bucks on shipping and lost time on the water with a rigger that was not cheap
    everyone at customer service have been nice but no results
    i have asked for another return authorization they won’t give me that they say they tested it and there is nothing wrong
    i don’t care what anyone says this should not be a tough thing to get fixed
    what should i do ?
    if anyone wants’ to call me from hummingbird or cannon here is my number
    708-862-2407
    Frank calumet marine
    if cannon/hummingbird ever gets this problem fixed i will post that as well
    until then i will never buy another cannon product or recommend any one else buy one

Bah. I have the Cannon HS5 and HS10 riggers. I really like them, but this new design, um, could they have made them any bigger? Yeeesh!

i've had walkers which in my opinion would make a nice anchor. big jons which if they got any slower i would die of old age waiting for the ball to hit the surface and now cannons. the cannons are smoking fast but the circut boards seem to be a little weak. i've never had scottys or vectors so i can't say anything about them. but, yes cannons are spendy and if a guy dumps $1500 to $3000 grand in riggers they better work when you hit the switch, hell, they better do everything but fillet the fish!!!
    Pro Staff: Mike's Eye Flies

I guarantee the BJ brutes are plenty fast and are ~600. They had to make an adjustable switch to slow them down.

600 bucks for the big jon when i can get the mag 10 for 480 bucks with the base, 250 feet a minute retrieve, p.i.c. and an auto shut off that works. i'll stay with cannon.
    Pro Staff: Mike's Eye Flies

What is the price of these new riggers? Also, I still haven't seen any decent info on the various models. There only seems to be one photo out there, and its an up level unit???

VECTORS! The best downriggers I have ever owned!

Mark

honda cat Guest

I have to say
    after 3 attempts to repair my old riggers

"quote from above post"
    " I have a cannon rigger that has been back to cannon for factory service 3 times since new only two years old
    every time it's back for 2-3 weeks it comes back with the same problem
    cannon "looses connection" with the Graff we have changed cables changed terminators cannon says it’s a hummingbird problem hummingbird says it’s a cannon problem used to think it was a connection but now we turn it on with the boat on the trailer no one near the boat after about ten minutes it get the lost signal on the Graff
    anyone have a idea of what’s wrong ?
    I have spent hours on the phone with cannon and hummingbird
    spend more than a few bucks on shipping and lost time on the water with a rigger that was not cheap
    everyone at customer service have been nice but no results
    I have asked for another return authorization they won’t give me that they say they tested it and there is nothing wrong
    I don’t care what anyone says this should not be a tough thing to get fixed
    what should I do ?
    if anyone wants’ to call me from hummingbird or cannon here is my number
    708-862-2407
    Frank calumet marine
    if cannon/hummingbird ever gets this problem fixed I will post that as well
    until then I will never buy another cannon product or recommend any one else buy one

It’s all about the FUN"

THE CANNON PEOPLE HAVE STEPPED UP AND REPLACED THE RIGGER
    THEY HAVE ALSO PUT IN PLACE SYSTEMS AND PROCEDURES TO INSURE THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN THROUGH QUALITY CONTROLE AND PROCEDURE CHANGES
    THANK YOU CANNON SENIOR MANAGMENT TEAM
    MY CONFIDENSE HAS BEEN RESTORED IN YOUR PRODUCT!

No Matter who's product you are using sooner or later it’s going to have a problem of one kind or another especially with such technically advanced equipment
    the thing that important is how these problems are handled
    not only did cannon correct a isolated problem they stepped up and made changes to make sure it don’t happen again
    can’t ask for any more than that

THANK YOU FOR ENDING MY PROBLEMS WITH THIS RIGGER

AND RESTORING OUR CONFIDENCE IN YOUR PRODUCTS

Frank
    Aka Honda cat
    CALUMET MARINE

When are these new Cannon downriggers going to be available and at what cost? I want to replace my older Mag 10 but if they are going to be a lot more than the Mag 10HS I'll just get one of those.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast