Great Lakes Angler Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Carb to EFI conversion

Hi, Has anyone out there installed Holley's throttle body fuel injection on there boat.Any comments would be great

Thanks
    Al

Is the Holley kit for Marine applications? If it is not certified for marine use I'd be wary of using it.

Yes it is for marine ,Holley makes it sound good but is it to good to be true?

I have one on my boat. It was professionally installed. It works unbelievably well. No loading up, no fouled plugs, gets up and goes. Starts up at the turn of the key. The one down fall is: it idles high. 800 rpm is as slow as it will go. I have to use bags to slow me down.
    My boat is a 79 Tiara 2000, with the 198 (gm 302) MerCruiser. Top speed with a 19 pitch is 42mph sog.
    I bought the boat with it already installed. The previous owner said it was worth every penny.
    He paid $1405 for the unit plus $372 for install. Anchorage Boatyard in Holland Mi. did the work. It is the Holly 700 cfm sysem
    Last edited by CarpenterKen; 02-21-2011 at 08:00 PM.
    I am not a Big Weenie Pro Staff, but I act like one!
    WMFL Facebook

http://www.bigweeniebrand.com/

I read a few reviews on the system you mentioned and they were not great. Have you checked out this one? http://www.affordable-fuel-injection...rine-19-1.html

I thought about installing EFI to my boat last year when I rebuilt the engine. After some research I found that while it gives you easier starting it really doesn't increase performance much. It also takes special equipment to diagnose a problem. Just like on cars, when they had carbs and no control modules, I could fix my own. Now I have to pay a garage $80 just to tell me what sensor is bad. I guess it all depends on who and how much you want to pay to have your engine tuned or fixed.

High Bidder

I feel that High Bidder hits it on the head. I am an ASE master Mechanic, not saying that I know it all but have some what of a good idea. The holly system is an aftermarket bolt on that I don't feel would give the reliability required. I don't know much about the system but would not trust the sensors to take the abuse of a boat, IE moisture and shock. With a carb you can carry a few spare parts and chances are you can limp back to port. With the EFI there are many components and like High Bidder said without the proper diag equipment where do you start. There are advantages to EFI no doubt but don't know if they outweigh the risk of reliability.

Mine is 8 years old now, and works flawlessly. If it needs tuning there is a plug in module with dials, for adjusting high and low speed gas mixtures. I have adjusted the high end last year when it was sputtering a bit at wot. It was easy, and now purrs at wot. You do need a fuel pump in the tank though.
    WMFL Facebook

My boat came with factory EFI and I love it. I have a 4.3 in this boat and had a carbed 4.3 in the old boat and the EFI is much better. Starts better, trolls better, and it does seem more fuel efficient. Although I can't prove it. Fires right up in the cold and no fouled plugs.

I'm running a couple from Affordable. I have twins so don't worry too much about problems, but just a sensor going out, won't strand you. It will put the computer into "limp mode" and you will still get back home. I installed myself, the guy's at Affordable are very knowedgeable & willing to help.

I tried calling Affordable on the phone twice and no answer, just leave a message . I dont know ,are they still in business?

Sorry, Just saw this. I had better luck contacting by e-mail, but had questions when installing & ended up with one of the guys cellphone #. Did you hear back from them yet?

No contact ,I have given up , I cant find email address ,they dont answer the phone . I dont need to work that hard to spend money, they dont seem to want it. Thanks.

Does adding fuel injection make more horsepower?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
    Does adding fuel injection make more horsepower?
    Because it's only a throttle body injection system, I doubt it add much H.P.
    The nice thing is: Starts fast and easy, never loads up, spark plugs last longer (way longer), engine runs smooth all the way through the zone.

Back to the OP. I am exceptionally happy with my Holly system.
    WMFL Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast