Great Lakes Angler Forum

here's a list of Ethanol free gas stations in your state

I came across this site that lists by state, the gas stations that sell Ethanol free gasoline.You can check by state on the list provided.You can also add any stations that you know of in your area that are not on the list.I put the Michigan link on as a sample.
    If you're as unfortunate as I am to live in a left wing kook state(Massachusetts)you won't be on the list.

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MI
    John R.
    * Boat- 23' SeaCraft Tsunami
    * Port- Olcott NY.

John,

Your NEXT assignment may well be to direct us to stations that STILL have only 10% ethanol as opposed to the coming 15%.

canopener
    Frank

Thank you! I'm going to send this link to a local fishing board, they have a sticky post there with a couple yooper stations.

Odd list only a gas station here and there on it when the ethanol is added at the refinery. I was told by a couple of reliable sources one is a delivery driver for a local gas company that BP premium is also free of ethanol as are many stations. Since much of the fuel in west MI comes thru the Muskegon terminal I would bet there is more than 1 station with real gas. Also like airports many farm fuel companies have non ethanol fuel and it is also road tax free which is a 25 cent per gallon saving. Last year I began to wonder since my boat is on a trailer if it would be worth it to tow over and fill on a friend of mines farm account and pay cash. They told me as long as it does not go in my truck I am legal and my truck is diesel anyhow. The problem is it costs me 15 bucks in diesel to tow the boat over there so on 100 gal fill up I really only save 10 bucks for the hassle.

The list doesn't seem odd in Illinois, at least in the populated northeast counties surrounding Lake Michigan.

Looking at the lead free list shows nothing available. Either no one cares to add updates or there simply is no choice here.

This list will be invaluable to me when I make my Canada trips this year thru Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Thanks for posting this.

canopener
    Frank

What I meant by odd is only 1 station listed in Muskegon if it were true who could afford to drive a tanker to your town to service 1 station. The station listed in Muskegon is a convenience store and I would have to drive back over but I don't remember it having a gas station. I have found most station managers will tell you what their fuel is they actually are required by law to do so in most places part of the truth in advertisement laws. What they should be required to do is label the pumps as to what you are buying. I asked last summer at the Wesco and they did not know however they took my name and number and the main office called me back to inform me all of their fuels were 10% ethanol. Last summer the BP stations in Muskegon were ethanol free on their premium fuels most Sunoco stations I have asked at were also ethanol free. Simply put if they won't tell you what's in their tank don't put it in yours. The biggest issue as was explained to me by a mechanic at a local boat dealership is when the mix goes beyond 10% which is what wrecked my carb 3 years ago on Wesco gas rated at 10% however my tank tested at close to 20% so it cost me 350 bucks to save a few cents a gallon. There are 95 fuel terminals in the entire state maybe 2 dozen major terminals all of the fuel for every station in the state comes thru these many of them mix the ethanol in their facility and most of them service multiple gas stations brands. So in some areas all of the fuel comes from the same tank it is just loaded into different trucks and delivered to the gas station.

Handy website, thanks for sharing. The list is somewhat incomplete (a couple of stations I regularly visit aren't on the MN map), but the accuracy should improve as more users access the site.

Just found this February 2011 ethanol study.

http://domesticfuel.com/2011/02/23/d...lder-vehicles/

This does not address anything other than automobiles.

canopener
    Frank

Of course you could patronize your local marina fuel dock. Most, if not all, sell mid grade or premium ethanol free fuel formulated for marine use. Certainly, it's a little more costly, but helps to maintain those facilities we use and keep them in business. Not a terrible investment in my view.

Play Dough makes a valid point about using local marinas and local bait shops too often we shop on price only and can't figure out why the local stores all closed.

If you read a little on the site, it is a list of stations that have been reported as having ethanol free gas. Someone has to submit the location -- not information being supplied by a supplier or central authority. Therefore it is going to be quite spotty in the info until more people know about it and stations that want to attract people that want the pure fuel submit the data.
    Ryan... ... Think KINGS!

Boat Name: CATtitude Adjustment -- 21' SeaCat
    More technology per square foot than any boat on the Great Lakes
    Owner: NetBungee -- http://www.netbungee.com &
    Michigan Slamon Spectacular - http://www.MichiganSalmonSpectacular.com

Muskegon

1Maniac - Pic N Pack does sell gas - non branded as indicated. They built the gas station about 5 or 6 yrs ago. Their prices seem to always be high but last time I went by there they were more competitive. I used to drive b there daily and would sometimes get lunch from their deli.

I'm surprised to hear about Wesco. I have bought Wesco premium for the last several yrs on Sherman and have a 1985 140 Mercruiser in the 4 Winns. Before that I was buying from Butch's on Sherman by Plumbs which I did not have any problems with either. I'm concerned because I know what 15% ethanol can do to o rings and fuel lines not made specifically for 15% ethanol content.

I've stated before in my past job I was an engineer for a company that made underground plastic flexible pipe for gas stations (from tank to dispensers) along with fittings and secondary containment equipment. We would need to do fuel compatibility testing for various materials, Nylon 12, Polyethelyene, nitrile rubber, viton (PTFE), among other materials. 15% ethanol, and 15% methanol were the worst case mixes for degradation and swell in o ring materials adn gasket materials such as nitrile rubbers. Some of the problems also come from using different mix ratios (say from 15% to 0%) where you would have o ring swell (15% blend) and then contraction (0% blend) resulting in cracked o rings and gaskets - leaks. That and also the fuel would leach out plasticizers from the materials and clog filters and carb jets. Fiberglass tanks can also have problems too if the resin used is not compatible with the fuel blends and it will leach out and cause problems.

Oh - BTW 15% is worst case for swell - 50/50 blends and even 100% ethanol results in less swell in elastomers than 15% for whatever reason.

Thanks have not been past it in a while and did not remember them selling gas however my point is ask. I have not found a station yet that would not tell me what fuel was in their tanks. Another place to ask is the local boat dealers as they will know where the safe stations are to buy fuel for their customers.